Monday, May 21, 2018

Benjamin Hauser Acknowledged for Academic Excellence

On April 25, Benjamin Hauser, alongside two other LBCC students, met with Oregon Gov. Kate Brown at the state capitol. The three Roadrunners were honored for their academic excellence by being named to the All-Oregon Academic Team.

On this day, Hauser was recognized for the determination and hard work he's put forth.
But this day felt like any other for Hauser. The West Albany graduate has high expectations for himself.

“It's a long process,” Hauser said. “I'm just in the beginning baby steps for where I want to go. I want to be a neonatologist, I want to work as a doctor for babies. That's going to take, after medical school, more schooling,”

Hauser volunteers at the Good Samaritan Regional Medical Center in Corvallis. He works in the emergency room, where he describes his job as “stocking supplies in the trauma rooms and everywhere in the ER.”

He also tutors students at LBCC, on top of his own school and volunteer work. He tutors for chemistry, math and anatomy classes.

“Last term I think I had 15 or a little more hours of availability. This term I have cut it way down to approximately 10 hours because this term has been ridiculously crazy for me,” Hauser said. “I'd have to double check my hours to be sure on how many I'm exactly available.”

Sheri McIntyre, tutor coordinator at LBCC, said, “I've supervised Ben for a little over a year. He is an excellent tutor. He is able to encourage his tutees to think about the information and learn the material in a way that works best for them as a learner. He is patient and thoughtful in his approach, ultimately assisting tutees with their understanding of the course, but boosting their confidence as well.”

“Ben is a remarkable and capable student. He possesses the desire, dedication and tools to achieve whatever academic and career goals he sets. I have no doubt he will make an excellent doctor and be an asset to the field and the families he works with.”

At a glance:

Hometown: Albany
High School: West Albany
Class of: 2016
Major: Biology Science
Hopes to be: Neonatologist

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Improv Smack Down" at Russell Trip Theater

On May 25, the Russell Trip Theater hosted six high schools for a Friday night of laughter and fun. The two act event lasted roughly two hou...